English for Secondary Schools (High School Preparation)
CRICOS Code: 080627B
Intakes: Every Monday
Course Length: 1–52 weeks
• There is no mandated program length, but an average of 20 weeks is usual.
• The length of the program is determined by a number of factors including age,
date of entry, testing, and year level.
• Program completion is established in liaison with the pathway secondary school.
Campus: Melbourne – City and Melbourne – Box Hill
Hours: 25 hours per week
Age: 7–17 years
The Melbourne Language Centre’s English for Secondary Schools is considered to be the premier course of its kind in Victoria. It is underpinned by:
• Excellence in teaching practice
• An academic program renowned for its success
• A nurturing environment with strong relationships between teachers and students
• Clearly defined expectations of staff and students
• A broad school pathway network which includes a large number of independent and government schools
• Constant liaison between MLC and pathway schools
The teaching and assessment methods at MLC include:
– Traditional classroom delivery
– Group work
– Interactive games
– Individual and group assignments
Specialist teachers are employed to teach mathematics and science, with students in upper classes and in all maths and science classes introduced to school textbooks. Homework is an integral part of the student program and is monitored by the classroom teacher. Students are encouraged to read novels from their pathway school’s English book list before commencing at the school. Excursions are held on a regular basis and usually incorporate worksheets for additional learning. Occasionally, a ‘fun’ excursion to a destination such as Luna Park will be organised.
|Assessment||Feedback – Report|
There are no entry requirements for this course.
At MLC, classes are run continuously throughout the year – the school is open every day except Saturday, Sunday and public holidays and does not close for term or school holidays. Saturday school can be arranged for special occasions.
View fee list here.